Wednesday, April 27, 2011

When Dreams Die

So I've been getting a lot of questions asking me if I'm all right in regards to Dream in the Dark getting shut out of every award on Sunday. In my gut I am very upset but I have to look at it from a logical perspective to even rationalize what happened. I'm not bitter against any of the winners as I thoroughly enjoyed their films...well except one (we all know which one). But the others were strong films.

I am surprised that Adam Zielinski's film did not place better. It seems that Spring Flicks suffered from a case of the Sunday syndrome again. Movies that play on Sunday have a better chance on winning. Its just a fact and always will be.

Even the judging was off. One of the judges explained to me that they went back and changed their scores for the first day after seeing the second day's films...that sounds a little shady to me.


To fix any problems I had with Spring Flicks a few things need to happen:
1. DO NOT let bad films in. Two nights of films is enough. It screws over the good films.
2. DO NOT let anyone associated with UNLV judge. Having a judge such as Danette Tull seems much more logical to me. Sadly she couldn't make it this year.
3. Program the shorts better. Having two similar films that are both great play one after the other is a detriment to both films. Sometimes fatal. I learned that the hard way.

Congratulations to all the winners. We all know what should and should not have happened. It was a fun year and the films are getting better and better.

And as to how I feel? Like Chris Nolan when the Dark Knight got snubbed. But hey. I still feel like Chris Nolan.

No comments:

Post a Comment